Interfraternity Council – University of Tennessee
Policies Fall Recruitment
IFC Health and Safety Philosophy surrounding Fall 2022 Recruitment:
The University of Tennessee’s Interfraternity Council is committed to the safety and well-being of our Potential New Members and community. Below, we have set forth required guidelines for all participants to follow throughout IFC recruitment. The schedule as well as the health and safety guidelines were made in conjunction with both the University of Tennessee and member chapters.
IFC Health and Safety Guidelines:
- Every potential new member will be given an IFC wristband that should be worn from orientation through bid day (August 22nd- August 30th).
- If a potential new member is found in violation of any of the following guidelines or policies, the wristband will be removed and the PNM will not be able to join an organization for 90 days.
- If an attendee of a meeting/event thinks they may have been exposed to COVID-19, please follow the appropriate steps:
- Contact the Student Health Center or your primary care provider for next steps on how to get tested and recommendations on self-isolation.
- Inform your Recruitment Captain, the IFC Advisor (email@example.com), or a member of the Recruitment Team (IFCRecruitment@utk.edu) to schedule the remaining recruitment on the zoom platform.
- Staff/guests contact your primary care provider for next steps on how to get tested and recommendations on self-isolation.
- ARTICLE I: Section 1. Basic Expectations
- The University and the Interfraternity Council have four basic expectations of New Members, Associate Members, Active Members, and Officers of fraternities. These are also expected of Potential New Members of the fraternity system.
- ARTICLE 5: Section 1: 1. Alcohol and Drugs
- All recruitment or rush activities associated with any chapter will be non-alcoholic. No recruitment or rush activities associated with any chapter may be held at or in conjunction with a tavern or alcohol distributor as defined in this policy.
- ARTICLE 6: Section 1. Definition of Recruitment Periods
- During formal recruitment, the contact between Potential New Members and member fraternities will be organized for the benefit of all participating chapters.
- ARTICLE 6: Section 3. General Regulations
- (i) All University regulations will apply during Informal and Formal Recruitment.
- (iii) The possession, use, sale and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages with the Potential New Member(s) during Recruitment activity/function of any fraternity and/or with any member of a fraternity, or at any entertainment or function sponsored by any individual fraternity member(s) shall be prohibited.
- (iv) If a Potential New Member is found in violation of the Interfraternity Council Recruitment Regulations, including but not limited to the use of alcohol, missing formal recruitment events without prior notice to the Vice President of Recruitment, or found committing criminal acts, he will be subject to the penalty of not being able to join any fraternity until the start of the next long semester.
- ARTICLE 6: Section 5. General Provisions
- (ix) If any Potential New Member is found with alcohol, found consuming alcohol, attends a “Rush Party” or is in violation of any alcohol policy, University Policy, or the Interfraternity Council Constitution & By-Laws he will be unable to join a member fraternity for 90 days.
- All chapters must follow event planning policies through the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. These policies may change, so chapter leadership is tasked with maintaining current policies.
- IFC will work with OSFL to provide planning and assistance to chapters wanting guidance on how to celebrate new members into their chapter.
- All chapters must have their new member education plan approved before Bid Day activities can partake.
- If you suspect violation of recruitment policy, please email the recruitment team at IFCrecruitment@utk.edu.
- If you have feedback or concern regarding the health and safety of the IFC recruitment process, please contact the IFC advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If a PNM, new member, or chapter member believe they are showing symptoms of COVID-19, they must complete the self-isolation form through this webpage: https://www.utk.edu/coronavirus/guides/what-to-do-if-you-feel-sick